March 18, 2009

30 and Counting


At the risk of sullying this remarkable blog with an amateurish post, I proceed - undeterred by a desire to shout to you and to the world:

HAPPY BIRTHDAY TO THE WOMAN I LOVE!

Here is a list of 30 reasons to feel elated about where you have come from and where you are going as you pass this milestone in your life.


  1. You know and love God and you know that He knows and loves you.
  2. You have a husband who adores you.
  3. You have three beautiful, dynamic, and strong daughters who spend the entirety of every day in a tireless quest to become like you.
  4. You are at the center of a family, yours and mine, who love you completely and forever.
  5. Your presence on this earth has brightened the lives of your countless friends and acquaintances.
  6. At risk to your life and to your sanity, you successfully fought to bring our three daughters into our home and our hearts.
  7. You have come to know who you are.
  8. You have read all of the works of Shakespeare and not only appreciate them, but truly understand them.
  9. You have successfully talked your way out of at least ten speeding tickets – and have since slowed down.
  10. You were voted Homecoming Queen.
  11. You have swam in Lake Michigan in March and lived to tell about it (or so the story goes)
  12. You went off to college with very little money, not knowing a soul, and never having been there, and came home with a great education, countless friends and three marriage proposals.
  13. You are the most engaging public speaker I know.
  14. You appreciate the beauty of beautiful things.
  15. You taught yourself HTML, CSS, and who knows how many other computer languages.
  16. You a fully accomplished photographer.
  17. You have been to more places and seen more of the world than most see in their lifetime.
  18. You have a beautiful voice.
  19. You have made our home into a work of functional, delightful, art.
  20. You can buy more for a dollar than anyone else I know.
  21. You have a wonderful talent of taking ordinary things and turning them into works of art. (note the previous post)
  22. You have discernment which makes you an excellent judge of character.
  23. You can, and have, written an entire childrens book in under 5 minutes.
  24. You have a talent for finding new, good, musical artists – long before they become popular.
  25. You have been to almost every national park in the country.
  26. You can spit frozen peas further than I can.
  27. You are just about to launch a website which is certain to be successful.
  28. You will have the privilege of witnessing our daughters grow into women who will honor you with their love and their lives.
  29. We will grow old together and I will love you more all the while.
  30. The best is yet to be.

- Love Sonny

19 comments:

Caity said...

That was beautiful! It made me cry! You really do brighten everyone's life! Happy Birthday sis! I love you!

Adria said...

aww that was so sweet! i would love to hear the three other marriage proposal stories:) Happy birthday, Megan! We love you so much and hope you have a wonderful day!

Lona said...

What a wonderful tribute to you! You have a great husband and sweetheart. It was so fun learning more about you. I always knew you were amazing, but all those tips about you just put you further up the pedestal. Have the best of birthdays - the 30's are fun, and the 40's are fabulous! I cried the night before I turned 30, then woke up and realized it was going to be great! It's all in the attitude. Love you and the family so much. What a blessing to have you as our extended family. Give everyone love and hugs - Lona

Dream Lenz Photography said...

snif snif! sheesh sonny. Meg you are truly one of my most favorite people on the planet. You are so inspiring and motivated and I love that about you. You are an AMAZING example to the girls. They are so lucky to have you as their mother. Happy birthday! I love you so much!

Lisa said...

Sonny, That was so sweet of you to post this you are awesome! Megan you are amazing in everyway that I have seen! I wish we could know each other better! I am happy for blogs that we can keep in touch with family and not be so lost about each others lifes. It was good to hear about "you". Truly have a great day, Happy Birthday!

Tifani said...

Happy, Happy Birthday! I love everything that Sonny said. I will just add that you are a wonderful example of thriving in motherhood! I love you! I can't wait until your blog website is complete. I am so excited!!! I know that everything you do will be amamzing. I will be a commited follower of yours!

Jill Ison said...

30's not so bad... it's 31 thats soooo bad... when your officially "in" your thirties. j/k Sonny is so cool. As are you. The prefect match :)

Megan said...

Aw. Thanks everyone! I feel so special. My husband is seriously the coolest man alive, isn't he? Prone to exaggerate, but other than that... :)

Laura said...

What a great hubby!! You are so blessed, Megan! Don't forget to check out my give away!!

Beth Soelberg said...

You are one amazing, lovely, talented, unique, BELOVED person, Megan! I miss you and have at least 5 houses within a 3 mile radius of me that I'd love to see you live in! (I'm just saying).

Hope you had a great birthday. :)

Campbell Family said...

What a sweetie of a husband you have to take the time to post this for you...just melts my heart! I didn't realize that we are the same age! I love you even more! You are wonderful and I can only imagine how special your hubby and girls made you feel on your birthday! Love ya!

Leanne said...

Oh man!!! I really want to be Megan right about now!!!!

I hope your bday was as fabulous as you are girlie!

And I agree with Beth...just buy a second house right here by us.

Andrea said...

How beautiful. I am talking about you and the post. Wow seeing so many accomplishments in one place is a bit overwhelming. Well, I will just have to keep striving to be like Megan.

r.l.secor said...

Knowing the Sonny I knew as a child - that lovely post is just the tip of the iceberg. I hope that kind of love is truly a part of your every day!!! That just makes me miss Sonny and admire you and want to get to know you even more Megan. You go girl.

Liz Hastings said...

You 2 are the cutest couple and am so proud to call you both cousin! Happy Birthday Megan. You are an inspiration!

2Shaye ♪♫ said...

Happy Birthday! I love this post! Just beautiful! Welcome to SITS!

DK said...

Megan, Happy belated birthday! What a great tribute from your sweet husband. I hope it was a great day!

Anonymous said...

I think this is one of the sweetest blog entries I have ever read. How wonderful to have such beautiful words spoken about you, by someone who knows you the best That's high praise. You are an inspiration. Happy Birthday!

Anonymous said...

I can't believe I am just now reading all these wonderful things our son wrote about his choice wife on her birthday. I guess with all the mission call stuff we were in a different world. Anyway, we commend Sonny on his description of your attributes and commend you for having such wonderful abilities. We love you very very much. Your blog is amazing! Love, Norma (and Dave)