We decided to go on a budget last month. We've never done that before. That's bad, huh? We just never have. We've talked about it before. We've planned to go on one before. We just never actually did it. I'm not going to lie to you- I was pretty nervous. I'm a bargain-hunter by nature, but mandatory penny-pinching just seemed grueling and restrictive. However, after a few days I realized that I was actually more happy being on a budget. Who would have thought??? We even talked to the girls about how important it is to save money...something, I am sad to say, they have very little experience with. Now, each time we go to the store and they ask for something I tell them they need to save their own money to buy it. All of this money talk seems to have really sunk in with our two little girlies- especially Ryen. This was quite obvious when I took her to Lowes last week. I asked a man who worked there if he would check on the price of a sink for me and Ryen told him not to bother because we can't buy it. "I'm sorry, Sir. That costs too much money. We are saving people!" She'd ask me the price of every item she saw and then slap her cheek exclaiming, "Are you kidding me!?!!" each time I answered her. I think she's convinced that we are poor and that the retail industry is of Satan. Fun times.
March 30, 2009
Pretty Much Destitute
We decided to go on a budget last month. We've never done that before. That's bad, huh? We just never have. We've talked about it before. We've planned to go on one before. We just never actually did it. I'm not going to lie to you- I was pretty nervous. I'm a bargain-hunter by nature, but mandatory penny-pinching just seemed grueling and restrictive. However, after a few days I realized that I was actually more happy being on a budget. Who would have thought??? We even talked to the girls about how important it is to save money...something, I am sad to say, they have very little experience with. Now, each time we go to the store and they ask for something I tell them they need to save their own money to buy it. All of this money talk seems to have really sunk in with our two little girlies- especially Ryen. This was quite obvious when I took her to Lowes last week. I asked a man who worked there if he would check on the price of a sink for me and Ryen told him not to bother because we can't buy it. "I'm sorry, Sir. That costs too much money. We are saving people!" She'd ask me the price of every item she saw and then slap her cheek exclaiming, "Are you kidding me!?!!" each time I answered her. I think she's convinced that we are poor and that the retail industry is of Satan. Fun times.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)


8 comments:
Ha! Oh man, that's awesome. I'm not a big fan of budgets either, but I am a fan of saving money! It gives me so much satisfaction I think there might be something wrong with me. Kudos to you for teaching it to your children. It's important!
Ryen is such a diva, i love it! you would be amazed at marks budgeting skills! graphs, charts..all color organized mind you:) it does make life much easier!
As always, you have inspired me! I will definately be talking to my kids more about money & I really need to budget!
Have you thought about having your own reality show? I would love to laugh so hard that I would pee my pants while watching your family. Just a thought. Maybe you could pad your budget with the income from that lol!
ha ha. She never fails to make me laugh with her little personality and comments. Its a good thing that you are such a bargain shopper missy. I'm the same way. love you.
Oh man, we've been saying that for years and our kids still don't seem to care! That's really funny Meg. Love those girls!
That is cute how Ryen reacted. I sure miss those girls of your, not to mention you two parents!!! Is it August yet?
Good for you! Go Ryen - What a smart girl and what an example for her younger sisters!! We love it!
Papa and Nana Hastings
Post a Comment