
Halloween isn't my favorite holiday. I think dressing up is loads of fun. I love the pumpkins and scarecrows. I just really don't like all of the "scary" stuff and focus on the icky, the creepy, and the dead. I could also do without the greedy candy-hording and sugar highs. Each year I try to get "treats" that children will like, but that won't cause me to feel horribly guilty. For the last couple years we've gone with little containers of Play-Doh. This year I bought mini pretzels in orange and black Halloween wrappers. It's a tricky business. So... I came up with an idea to help us celebrate Halloween in a way that is fun and exciting for the kids, but won't rot their teeth. They get to choose any three pieces of candy they want and the rest stays in their bag. Just before bedtime on Halloween night, we put it outside as an offering to The Great Pumpkin. He comes when the girls are sleeping, takes their collection of junk food, and leaves them with a present instead. I think it's going to be lots of fun!


5 comments:
Great idea, Meg! I'm sure that will go over much better than letting them have at the entire bag of candy. We normally let benson only go to a couple of houses, put the candy in the cupboard so he forgets about it, and then let Ben eat it all. it works pretty well too. :) We'll have to come up with plan B for next year, as he is bound to remember the candy eventually.
Wow...what a great idea! Why didn't I think of that when my kids were younger?!!
I just think that is the neatest thing. I can't wait to see how that works and if...well...I might help dispose of the horrible loot they get. NOT...well maybe just a couple pieces?????
Does that mean Sunny has to dress up like a great pumpkin sort of like the christmas and santa traditions? If so I am In!
What a fun idea! I wish I could have known about it 30 years ago. Andrew went Trick or Treating for the last time and here we are a week later and he has already gotten sick because of too much sugar. So I took his bag and hid it. I hate all the wrappers and all the sugar. He had a melt down trying to find his bag. It was really sad. Sure love you - Lona
Post a Comment