April 20, 2009

From Pumpkin to Parana

Isn't she cute? She's my little pumpkin.



...At least she was until a couple weeks ago when she decided to start biting. Ally gets in this mood where she dives at anything she can get her teeth on and just BITES the living daylights out of it. She got a chunk of my arm last night and has ruined several of my shirts by creating small horizontal teepees all over them from her trademark Bite & Pull. If that's what she has done to my t-shirts, just imagine what she has done to...uh...you know. In a word: OW!!! Which brings me to the point of this post. (Yes, there is one!) How do you force a child to stop nursing when they don't want to? I couldn't nurse Ryen since she was adopted and Madelyn blatantly refused to even pretend to nurse. I am in uncharted territory here. Sometimes Ally will eat and do it happily, but she is extremely moody and unpredictable when it comes to food. When she isn't in the mood to eat, she will clamp her little mouth shut and bat me away like some sort of super-ninja-baby-prodigy. Mr. Miyagi would be proud. I, however, am discouraged. Seriously, someone advise me!

8 comments:

Anonymous said...

Wish I could help Meg, but be sure to let me know when you figure it out for future refrence! Hang in there. You are the bomb diggity!

Frolicking Night Owl said...

Do YOU want to keep nursing? If so, teach her not to bite. Our Dr said to take away the food and they'll learn that biting causes them to lose their food. Or I'm sure you can google it and get ideas. As far as just cutting her off if you're ready to be done nursing ... I have no idea. Google that too! :)

Megan said...

Yes, I want to stop nursing. I think it is time. I'm sad about it, but it's just time. Ally will be 9 months soon so I feel like we had a good run. I just have no idea what to do now!

Carrie said...

Yikes! Benson got 4 teeth at 4 months so I feel your pain here...

As far as cutting off a baby from nursing... I had to wean Banks at 6 months for my surgery and I just quit. I got started late and had to be done breast feeding a few weeks before I went under, so I'm pretty sure I was feeding him breast milk one day and then feeding him formula the next. He did not want bottles AT ALL before that, but once the breast milk was gone he was hungry enough to drink formula. I'm kind of thinking that Ben took over as much of the feeding as he could in the beginning and that seemed to help get Banksy off the good stuff. And understand if they appear to be eating little, they won't starve to death. Babies aren't smart enough to manipulate, so when they get hungry they will eat! I was scared with Banks being so tiny, but it worked out fine and I barely remember it now so it must not have been too traumatic. lol

Jill Ison said...

i have no advice... but she IS the cutest little punkin ever!

Charlie and Tina said...

Hey when I started trying to get mine to stop nursing I went from day feeding to only at night before bed. When they would try to nurse during the day I would get them regular food or juice. I find that Mason now nurses sometimes just to get a drink do to say. But I feel the pain on the biting. I have been there. So GOod Luck.

Caity said...

Oh man Meg! I am so sorry! That sounds so painful! I wish I had good advice. Isn't there something out there for babies who suck their fingers? You put this stuff on the finger and it tastes gross so they stop? Just put that on your, uh, you know :) THat could be the worst idea ever... or the best :)

Suzanne said...

Doesn't sound fun! It was always harder for me to stop nursing then for my kids to stop. I enjoyed that one on one time with them and as they got older then seemed to want to be moving. I am sure you'll figure it out, I would think that adding solids, infant juices, and formula may help her forget what she's loved for so long. She is so cute!
-Suz