April 15, 2007

Let's Talk

It amazes me how quickly two small children can turn a clean house... unclean. How do people with large families survive? Holy smokes! Anyway, I just finished picking up the family room and sat down in the study for a little break when I overheard Ryen in the playroom say to Madelyn, "Let's talk just a minute, Little One." First of all, I think it is so tender when Ry calls Maddie "Little One". It's just so sweet and loving... and funny, since she's not much smaller than Ryen is. I then listened as Ry asked Madelyn why she took her toy and proceeded to "discuss" the issue for the next few minutes. (Until Maddie had enough and finally bolted!) I thought it was pretty cool to hear my children trying to talk something out. Ryen was obviously upset, but calmly took a step back to talk about what she was feeling in a loving and positive way. Ryen is so good about listening to what she is feeling and expressing those feelings- something that I am sure will help her throughout her life. She often yells to me after nap time, "I am feeling very frustraaaaated! I'm impatient in heeeeere! I'm just feeling very disappointed!" As funny as it sounds coming from a 3-year-old, I sure am glad we have focused so much of our energy as parents on communication and understanding feelings. We are by NO means perfect, but still, it is so cool to see your children interact in such tender ways and hope that they may have learned a thing or two about that from you. Now if I could just get Ryen to stop saying, "Holy crap!"

1 comment:

Beth Soelberg said...

My friend with 7 children has just decided to (basically) never clean the house, until it becomes the sort of thing where the Health Department could shut things down. Seems to work!