September 5, 2007

How did she get so old???

Ryen with her teacher- Mrs. Howard


Well, today was the day. The day that all of us moms both look forward to and dread. That very first day of school. I couldn't sleep last night. My mind was a swamp. I couldn't stop wondering and stressing over the stupidest things. "Would her sandals be okay or are they supposed to wear tennis shoes? Do kids wear bows in preschool? Maybe I should have gotten some sort of gift for her teacher... but what? An apple? That's so lame. A bottle of aspirin?" When this morning finally rolled around, everything went just fine. I had planned to give Ryen a pocket full of (invisible) kisses so that if she ever felt sad or needed some love, she could just reach in there and take out a little kiss from her mommy. As soon as we entered her school building, she was off and running. She settled in with her classmates and, without looking back, started playing with some blocks. No kiss good-bye. No hug. No wave. Nothing. I was suddenly very aware of three things. #1- I am an idiot, #2- my little Ry is exactly where she should be, and #3- I was going to need some Kleenex for the car ride home.

3 comments:

Carrie said...

Oh how exciting! This is crazy to a lot of people but I am so excited for Benson to go to school. I'm so excited to see the pictures he'll paint for me and all the neat things he will learn while he is there. You will have so many cool things to put on your fridge! Ryen is going to be everyone's best friend. You better get a bigger house for her birthday party next year. She is going to have 100 people to invite.

Caity said...

Congrats RYEN! What a big girl you are! You are so smart and so beautiful and so fun!

Meg, you're a great mom and a great blogger. I love your posts, every time!

Campbell Family said...

I totally know how you feel! I started crying before I made it back to my car! I bet Ryen loves every bit of school, how exciting!