
Last night, a really sweet woman from our church brought over some homemade bread with a container of honey. When Ryen saw the honey, she was beside herself. Thanks to "Bee Movie" Ry is under the impression that the honey was STOLEN from bees. She refused to eat it- and was pretty disappointed in the rest of us for not being concerned about this outrage.
Ryen really likes to watch American Idol so we sometimes let her stay up for that. We watched a tiny part of their charity show last week- the portion featuring Forest Whitaker's trip to Angola to help children who are dying of malaria. I worried that it was a bit too heavy for our little almost 5-year-old, but it was already too late by the time I realized that. She looked at me with so much concern in her eyes and said, "Mom, I am really worried about those children." It opened up a great discussion and opportunity to teach Ryen. When she discovered that the disease can be prevented with a $10 bed net, she immediately asked me how long it would take her to earn that much money. She has since worked very hard to earn enough allowance to help the children in Africa. I love my daughter for a million bazillion reasons, but one of my favorite things about her is her gentle and compassionate heart.


10 comments:
that is too funny!! what a sweetie pie lookin out for those poor bee's:)
lol...that is great! Way to stick to your guns Ry! Such a smart, good hearted, little sweetheart!
Now I'm going to have to see Bee Movie! Thats so funny! I don't think you're ever going to have to worry about that girl abandoning her morals as long as they're cemented early! And I have no doubt that she has learned her charity and compassion from both of you. You and Sonny could teach a seminar. :)
What an absolute sweetheart!!! Before long she is going to be a globe-trotting philanthropist!
Move over, Angelina. Ryen is on the scene to save the planet. That's actually really amazing because I swear I didn't have an unselfish thought until like 20 minutes ago. Moments like this make parenting worth it.
That is so amazing....Ryen really is the sweetest little girl...how thoughtful and caring! I am so proud to be your Aunt Amberger, Ryen!!! Love you!
That is so sweet! If only we could all be like that.
I thought that was so sweet, it made me want to cry. What an amazing example a almost-four-year old can be!
P.S. The honey WAS stolen, remember? The bees don't get asked :)
oh little sweetie! She'll be the next angelina jolie!
I bet she gets her compassion because YOU are raising her! Like mother, like daughter :)
Post a Comment