November 5, 2007

A Good Read



I am just about to finish the third and final book of "The Golden Compass". I have mixed feelings about the three-book series. While I very much enjoyed how imaginative and entertaining the books were, I found them a bit disconcerting from a religious perspective. However, if read in the same frame of mind used to read "The Oddyssey" or "Iliad" where Greek mythology rules, it is much less shocking- even downright intriguing. Have any of you read these books? What did you think? Have you read anything great lately? I'm interested to know!

I'm going to start reading chapter books to Ryen. She's still pretty young so it will be interesting to see which of her characteristics wins out... Her love of a good story or her inability to sit still for two minutes at a time. It will be fun to see!

13 comments:

Carrie said...

Ben and I still haven't read it but I think we are finally convinced. We both took the test and mine was a snow leopard and ben's a lion (of course... i could have told you that). good luck with the reading to Ryen! One of my childhood favorites is Mrs. Pigglewiggle. I recommend it.

Pam said...

Well I turned out to be a spider. Go figure...modest, solitary, softly spoken, spontaneous, and responsible. Very interesting... Meg, you already know the books I recommended.

Anonymous said...

I my demon is a fox. Pretty cool. I liked these books too but feel the same as Megan. I wasn't sure how I felt about the author hating the concept of a supreme God or even that religion is bad. I didn't care for the third book as much as the others. I am reading twilight, new moon and eclipse right now and can NOT put them down. I didn't want to read them because everyone else around me was, but I gave in and am actually really liking them.

Leanne said...

Oh boy...a controversial book and movie. I was just enlightened as to what the controversy is about by my sister. Personally, I've never read the books. Part of my family thinks it's horrible to read or go see and part thinks it's just fine. Eek. What to do, what to do. I did read the Plugged-In website's stance on it. I don't have time to read it anyway. Scripture reading is what's best for me right now.

Good luck with the chapter books! I think the first chapter book that was read to me was Charlotte's Web. Loved it!

Beth Soelberg said...

The first chapter book I read was "Charlie and the Chocolate Factory." But I loved Mrs. Piggle Wiggle, too, and have to throw in a recommendation for the Ramona books - "Beezus and Ramona," "Ramona the Pest," etc. The first two books especially relate to Ryen b/c Ramona's about her age in those two. Anything by Roald Dahl...the Pippi books, too. Funny that I have more recommendations for the children's set than for adults!

What kind of books do you like? Non-fiction, biography, fiction? I love any book by Bill Bryson with a passion. I also liked "Gullible's Travels" by Cash Peters, "If I Live to Be 100" by Neenah Ellis, the Miss Read series (she's the author), and I like Hugh Nibley, but he's a little on the dry side sometimes. I've heard a lot of people like the "Twilight" series Suzanne recommended.

This comment is too long! You can delete it, Meg. :)

Beth Soelberg said...

P.S. Should I be flattered that my daemon is a chimpanzee? That is one ugly-looking daemon.

Megan said...

Wow! Thanks everyone! Those are some great recommendations! I'm excited.

Caity said...

Hmmm...I'm not sure if I really want to share my demon. Kind of embarrassed. Not any where as cool as a snow leopard or fox or even a chimpanzee!

I LOVED the first book, thought the second was entertaining and the third...it was okay. The ending totally disappointed me. That's when they got heavy into the religious stuff. More-so than anything the angels freaked me out. I think the great thing about a book is you get out of it what you want and everyone can see different meanings. So it didn't bug me. I have been waiting for someone to talk to me about the book though! Call me! I'm going to the movie :)

The Twilight series was incredibly addicting. Fun read for sure. But of course, neither for children.

Melissa Lasley said...

My Daemon is Albus the Tiger. Outgoing, modest, assertive, responsible and shy.

Anyway, I read the books knowing a friend had stopped after the first book thinking it was no good. I also saw reviews saying he was the next C.S. Lewis (I didn't realize they meant opposite of C.S. Lewis and wanted people NOT to believe in God.)

I agree with Caity though. You can definitely get different things out of the book. For example I felt that the Dust is really what God is all about - good, promoting knowledge, growth and light. And the depiction of "god" was what I think Satan is. Controlling, lying, wants to stop agency. In that way I feel bad for the author, he definitely seems to choose not to know the real character of Heavenly Father.
Melissa Lasley

Carrie said...

Caity if you ever feel brave enough to share you should know you have definitely piqued my interest. I have to say that now that I am reading the book I can see value in all the daemons--- even those that don't seem glamorous (can I say that I only spelled that right bc of the fergie song) are really unique and important. That is soooooo dang corny but I've really come to believe that!

Anonymous said...

Cait, I am with Carrie. What is your demon? I would love to know, what animal could be so embarrassing?

Caity said...

Okay, if you insist. But I have to say that I partly didn't share to spare Meg the nightmares. My daemon is a mouse. I don't remember the traits, but it sounded pretty right. I can only think of mousetraps, disease, and little poop. Sorry Meg. I took it again to see and the second time I was Gibbon. That sounded about right too. So, I'll just think of my daemon as a Gibbon.

Also, Melissa! Amen! I agree, I thought of it that way too. Besides, good Christian people aren't going to be swayed into atheism because of a teenage fiction. But, I also don't like that the author was intending to put God down. Tricky, tricky. I'm still going to the movie.

Sonny said...

I'm a Snow Leopard. Interesting...